Pitch, a word we hear say often and so many times, when you are a filmmaker and you have a film, short film or documentary and you are looking for investors. One word, that could be the solution to those financial problems for that project, in which we believe.
Also, it is a word that is used in the entrepreneurial world and the principles are basically the same.
What is a PITCH?
Wikipedia definition is: A pitch is a concise verbal (and sometimes visual) presentation of an idea for a film or TV series generally made by a screenwriter or film director to a film producer or studio executive in the hope of attracting development finance to pay for the writing of a screenplay.
Therefore, a pitch is talking in front of an audience in order to get funds for a film or project in working progress.
How to make a pitch?
This is where the doubts come, what should I take into account for this moment? And how to prepare it?, do not worry here, we are going to tell you how to do it.
First, we must take into account the following, shared by a Spanish businessman Isidoro Sánchez Tejado, entrepreneur, investor and business angel:
- We have to engage with a 10 minutes presentation or less to our potential investor.
- Do not go into details of numbers.
- Build a storytelling that touches hearts, using emotional communication.
- Take care of the formal aspects.
- Be direct, concrete and convey passion.
- Rehearse – rehearse – rehearse.
Now, we must prepare ourselves in detail and above all, know what we are talking about.
- Preparation for the presentation. Avoid to be boring and if the pitching organizers allow it, use audiovisual material. An image or a video/trailer can say a lot more than a thousand words.
- Review over and over what you are going to say. You have little time to talk, so think clearly and get down to business. Say a synopsis, make your project a story, tell it as if you were watching it on the screen.
- Remember that the people you are talking to are very busy. Respect their time and show them a first-rate job. I mean by this first-quality images, if you use audiovisual material that the edition be impeccable and a formal presentation and yet striking.
- It depends on the event where you are going to present but you must dress for the occasion, never go very informal, remember that you are looking for investors and you have to look professional for your project and the money you are asking for.
- Before your presentation, check that everything works well. Computer, video, USB, etc. If you can and the organizers agree, prepare a document with all the information of your project. Make it as professional as possible, but also be creative. Let people don’t forget about your project.
- Here you go! give all you have.
In the video below you can find out more about a good pitch:
Now, it’s your turn, leave a comment below and tell us all about your experiences in pitchings.